The Magic Room

the magic room

i just got finished reading The Magic Room: a story about the love we wish for our daughters for the BlogHer Book Club.
this book tells the story of Becker’s Bridal Shop in Fowler, Michigan which has been in business since the 1930’s. it shares the stories of several women on their journey to find the perfect dress at Becker’s while simultaneously sharing facts and statistics about marriage through the years that the business had been opened.

if you have been reading my blog for some time and know about a little about me, you know that i totally geek out over marriage facts and studies and advice.
{my degree is in marriage and family studies}
so obviously when i heard about this book i was instantly interested in what it would say.
and it did not disappoint!!

the book reads like any other story and keeps you wondering what is going to happen next in the women’s lives. but what i loved even more about it is how it casually interjects statistics and trends for how marriage has changed today {trends like my Crossroads of Divorce article}
the book is able to mix research and storytelling in a beautiful way so you don’t feel like you’re reading a boring research paper {though, if it was about marriage & family i probably won’t mind}.
seriously.
i think this is a book that ALL couples should read.

i loved it and definitely will be making Adam read it soon
:)
you should definitely check it out!

 

This was a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna read this book! sounds like a great one!

http://dianereiter.com said...

Sounds like a unique, fun read! Thanks for sharing!

Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve. said...

Oooo i want to read it!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a neat book, I'll have to check it out!

Elizabeth Kelsey Bradley said...

Your blog is officially my favorite: God bless you and your family!!! I hope to help you promote your Stronger Marriage blog in every way I can, because as you know from my post, I firmly believe society pushes families apart.


I too suffered from depression, as well as severe anxiety, btw. Thank you for writing about your journey!!