don’t blink

IMG_6739_bw

how did this little guy get so big?
when did he go from being a chubby little baby who could barely crawl to a toddler that runs laps around the house?

it makes me sad to think of how fast he is growing.
there’s times where i physically hurt because i know it is only a matter of time that he will be too big

too big for my kisses
too big for my hugs
too big for my cuddles

i tell Adam quite regularly how i want Elijah to be a little baby again.
there’s times where i wish i could do his first year over because even though i know it’s irrational,
i feel like i already missed so much.

last year feels like such a blur.
with me and Adam both going to school and trying to graduate on time.
plus starting my internship with the Stronger Marriage blog and Adam teaching classes.
then applying to dental schools and working out finances,
to the basic overwhelming exhaustion that comes from being first time parents.
i felt like there were always stresses, things that took my time away from soaking in my sweet baby boy

people used to always tell me, “enjoy these moments because they don’t last forever!”
and i used to think that was either: 1. an obvious statement and therefore annoying advice
and 2. a dumb thing to say to sleep deprived mother and it seems impossible to enjoy being chronically tired.

but lately {and really since i had this conversation} that has now become my mantra:
enjoy these moments!

enjoy how he dances to Elmo’s World in the morning
enjoy the magic in his eyes when he sees the Christmas lights sparkle
enjoy his need to blow kisses to you each time you walk out the door
enjoy his babbling & giggling [even if i can’t understand]
enjoy the way his hair curls after his baths
enjoy it all.
cause it will be gone in a blink.

16 comments:

Blair said...

I have been feeling the exact same way about Elise lately, lamenting that her baby stage is coming to an end and that her toddlerhood is beginning. I even changed my computer desktop picture recently from her most recent picture to a newborn one. I miss my tiny, helpless, chubby baby. But, man, she sure is cute and a lot of fun right now! I can't get enough, especially the dancing and learning new words. Keep on enjoying your sweet boy! And congratulations to Adam. Looks like you'll be headed this way soon!

Emma Frances said...

How sweet! I will definitely have to remember this advice whenever I have a little one!

Chrissy said...

Such a sweet post! Lovely xxx

Flor said...

visiting from weigands :)

yes, enjoy ever single step and milestone. because one day, your little one will be 7 years old and you'll be helping him with his homework wondering how your little "baby" {because they are always our babies} learned to read!. well, at least that's how I feel :)

Sarah B. said...

Awwww!! I'm not a mom but it sure seems like every stage has its sweet moments ;)

Jen said...

this is so sweet :)
It scares me SO much how quickly time goes by, so I can only imagine how it'll be when I have children. I have seen how fast my niece and nephew have been growing.. time flies!

jessi bridges said...

Yes! I always tell new moms and soon to be moms to cherish every single moment, even the 3 am feeding that you can hardly remember because you're so exhausted. Becuase one day you'll look back and MISS those moments. Oh how I wish we could freeze time!

Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve. said...

Such a sweet blog post! I know exactly how you feel, especially about it hurting, I feel like I blink and my boys have grown. It just goes way to fast! I try to soak in as many moments as I can. I want to cry everytime I think that next year my oldest will be starting pre-k. I mean really, how did that happen so fast?!?!

We have to enjoy every moment we can with our little ones. Happy Friday!

xoxo

Ruthie Hart said...

I cannot imagine what it must be like to watch your babies grow so fast. I've been married almost a year and life has FLOWN by!

Anonymous said...

Mine is 7, idk how they grow sooo fast! cherish the memories and moments!

Unknown said...

Hi there! New follower from MBC:) You brought tears to my eyes as I am feeling the same way! Nine months ago I brought home my sweet baby girl...even more stunning eight years ago I brought home my first angel!

Kendra said...

I thought the "enjoy it while you can" comments were lame-o too for your same stated reasons. But I can't believe my baby is turning one soon. Great post!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful baby you have :)

Courtney B said...

LOVE this post! Makes me so excited, but incredibly nervous to be a mommy :)

LillysNLollipops said...

Its so true! My daughter will be 2 in feb. And I can't believe it! Its so bitter sweet to watch them grow, and see their little personality come out. i look at pictures of her when she was a few months old and think "who is that!" They change so fast!
Amanda@ Lillys&Lollipops

... said...

Life seems to go by faster and faster the older I get! I cannot imagine how fast it will seem twenty years from now! What a blessing to see the need for a slow down..many people never see this until their kiddos are grown!