little sickie

within seconds, Elijah went from this crazy kid

IMG_1601

to this little sickie.

sick baby

{actually he still ran around in between his resting. the kid has so much energy even when he is sick!}

today, Adam was feeding Elijah a late lunch and he totally threw up all over his high chair.

he was still smiling and cracking jokes though so we thought maybe it was some fluke. like maybe he had just eaten too fast or drank too much milk or something. but then as i was running errands later, Adam called me to tell me he threw up again and i needed to come home. when i got home, Elijah was still playing like nothing happened but every now and then he would start whining and go lay down on the couch and rest until he had enough energy to go play again.

it breaks my heart to see my baby sick.
i think sick babies are one of the hardest parts of being a parents.

first, it’s gross.
and second, they are just so MISERABLE but don’t know how to communicate their pain to you besides just big, puppy dog tears.

i feel the most inadequate as a mother when Elijah is sick.
i call the nurses about every 2 hours because i’m incredibly paranoid, i think every cough or sneeze is a symptom of RSV, and i pretty much just start crying with him because i just don’t know what to do!

how do other moms do it?
how do they know so much?
how did my mom know so much for that matter??
every time we got sick she was right there knowing how to help us feel better and get back on our feet
but when Elijah is sick, i start freaking out and basically go into panic mode while Adam takes action

which, by the way, ADAM IS AMAZING!!
he goes into crisis mode and he knows just what to do!
he’s over there boiling bottles and pacifiers, sanitizing everything, filling up humidifiers, stocking up on kleenex, rocking and cuddling Elijah, checking temperatures… EVERYTHING!

and i’m a disappointment.

hopefully i’ll get the hang of this soon and know what to do…
in the meantime, i think i need to study The Baby Book some more.

 

what do you do for your sick littles?  

12 comments:

Unknown said...

i hope your baby is back to his healthy crazy self ASAP! don't be too hard on yourself girl, you're amazing!

<3 Daryl
Roots, Wings, and Other Things.

Jodi Ann said...

You're such a great mom! I can totally relate...it's such a difficult thing when the babies are sick. I always feel the same way as you and usually my husband steps in and saves the day. I hope your little man gets better quickly!

Ruthie Hart said...

Ugh I can't even imagine what it must be like to have a sick baby! I am a major baby when I am sick haha

holli h. said...

poor lil' elijah. still, no matter how sick he hets, it sounds like his crazy, playful personality will carry him through it!

Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve. said...

Awe love! I hope he starts feeling better soon! You are so NOT a disappointment, with being a momma, we learn along the way and that's exactly what you will do. You will figure it out, I know you will! =D

When my little one's are sick. If it's something I can treat at home then it's medicine, soup, crackers, and I will lay on the couch with the one that is sick (or both of them) or rock them, I just try to make sure they get plenty of meds, plenty of rest and plenty of snuggles. :)

xoxoxoxo

the Momma Bird said...

you are NOT a disappointment!!! don't say that!! you are completely normal - I go through this occasionally too. Don't worry about it, next time, you'll totally know what to do :)

Julia Badgley said...

Hope he starts feeling better soon. It's so hard when they're sick. I give more cuddles, and call telehealth to talk to a nurse if I'm feeling extra unsure. I also call my mom for advice. I give tylenol if the problem warrants that. And try to be more understanding.
Good luck!

LillysNLollipops said...

I feel you! Just last week I was woken up in the middle of the night to a screaming toddler, I brought her in my bed( no judging! Lol) and we went back to sleep, then was woken up again a her throwing up everywhere...blah she ended up just having a 24 hr. But but I felt so bad for her...

Laurie said...

Pray fervently.

Richard said...

Praying for your baby to be ok!!


pre workout supplement

Bonnie Gutzman said...

I think Elijah will remember you just as you remember your mom. :) I'm sure she felt the exact same as you do, especially with her first kid, but kids just feel the love and the caring from their mommy. Asher had RSV when we were visiting from Germany when he was 5 months old, and had to stay overnight in the hospital/ride an ambulance/get an IV put into his head. :'( It's times like that when you realize how much you love your child, and how much God loves them in helping them to get better and stay healthy.

Hoping Elijah feels better soon! PS- we still need to hang out sometime ;)

... said...

You are anything BUT a disappointment friend! You are an amazing mother and Elijah is so blessed to have you as his mama!