q and a

i got a question a little while ago in the comments that i wanted to address. it was something i had been wanting to talk about for a while and since the reader didn’t leave an email address i thought this would be the best time to talk about it in a post.
[Karen, this is for you! :)]

the question was about anti-depressants.

though i do believe medications help a lot of people, my therapist and i decided to NOT have me take them. for multiple reasons really.

but the main reason  is because we (the therapist and i) both felt like my depression wasn’t so much something that needed medication as it was learning new tools to incorporate into my life to use now and in the future to help me learn a new way to live.

a lot of my depression stems from harmful thought processes that have caused me to look at my life and the world with a very damaging perception of things. so for me, my journey has been a lot about finding new ways of thinking and dealing with trials for when life continues on {and gets harder}.  

for me, that is what we felt like would benefit me the most. although i do strongly believe that a lot of people greatly benefit from it, it just didn’t feel right for me in my circumstances.

[Karen] and everyone, i hope this has helped answer some questions! thank you so much for asking that question! :)

what do you think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would love to answer any questions [about depression or anything else you’d like to know about me] that you may have! please feel free to contact me or leave a comment and i will answer your questions :)

4 comments:

Abby (Diligent Joy) said...

I think that treatment for depression and other mental issues needs to be a very personalized thing. Some people may need medication while others just need more exercise or fresh air.

Have you tried yoga? It does wonders for bad/sad/downer types of moods.

Brianna Renee said...

i agree with abby. yoga does wonders. also, diet, vitamins, and nutrients are really helpful in feeling balanced :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Megan, for this wonderful post. It has finally helped me make my decision for what I feel is best for you. You are a great inspiration to us all.

-Karen

Rachel@ A Little Bit of Ray said...

I am nearly recovered from severe PPD after over a year. When I was finally diagnosed last Nov(my daughter was born July 1st) my doctor put me on anti-depressants and it made it worse. After a very scary and personal episode, we decided to do what you're doing and its made a world of difference. Things aren't overwhelming me as much any more and I'm able to cope better. Some days are, of course, better than others but all in all I'm satisfied w/ my decision and progress. I'm finally becoming happy. Keep working on it and it will get better. I've learned finding your personal coping methods takes time. Good luck!!