What Alice Forgot

photo (66)

what if you woke up & you had forgotten everything that happened in the last 10 years?
would you be proud of what had become of your life?
would you be disappointed in the kind of person you had become?

this month for the BlogHer Book Club i read a book that explored that very question.
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty is about a woman {Alice obviously} who hit her head at the gym and when she woke up she thought she was still back in 1998 happily married to the love of her life and pregnant with her first baby.
she didn’t believe anyone when they said she actually had three kids and her marriage was about to end in a bitter divorce.

this book explored so many interesting facets of human emotion.
from the loss of love between Alice & Nick to the overwhelming feeling of loss from Alice’s sister Elizabeth who struggled for 6 years with infertility to the way pure happiness & love can cure all the bitterness you have ever had in you.

i really liked this book and i love the way it made me think.
the whole time i kept asking myself if my the younger Megan from 10 years ago would be proud of me or if she would be disappointed. or if 10 years from now would be what i truly hoped it would be or if i would be unrecognizable to my 23-year-old self.
i thought about what i can do now to ensure that as i grow and mature, i stay true to my core values
and continue to cultivate my marriage.
as a marriage research/advice/counseling junkie, this book was filled with great material that has really helped me analyze my own relationship and vow to be better.

this book was definitely captivating & kept me on my toes.
every time i thought i knew what was going to happen, it tricked me.
but with all the tricks it did tend to be quite a bit long… i felt like it could’ve been a bit shorter and gotten to the point faster, not have so many interruptions.
but i still liked it and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good, thought-provoking book to read next!

this is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

13 comments:

Andrea @ Love is... said...

Ooo this sounds interesting! Just added it to my to read list! = )

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a good book! I'll have to check it out!

Aubrey said...

just stuck it on my next to read list!
thanks!

Cyn @LittleBittyLife said...

Sounds like an interesting read! I'm always looking for a good book to get into.

Cyn @LittleBittyLife

Brittany LeSueur said...

I love book reviews!!! I am putting this one on my list.

Brittany LeSueur said...

I love book reviews!!! I am putting this one on my list.

Unknown said...

I read this a few months ago and loved it! Glad you enjoyed it too :)

Unknown said...

that sounds like a great book! I will definitely have to check it out. I love books that are a good read, but also make you think and serve purpose instead of just solely entertaining.

I love your blog. It's soooo cute! I look forward to reading more from you :)

Unknown said...

I recently bought that book, but haven't started it yet. Can't wait to start!
Nicole

Casey said...

Sounds like my kind of book! I'm totally going to have to check it out. By the way, new follower here!! I've really enjoyed reading your blog so far...looking forward to getting to know you more! Happy Friday! :)

Unknown said...

Wow. That book sounds amazing and thought provoking. I added it to my Goodreads list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you now too. :)

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

This sounds like a book I'd like! Might have to pick this one up for my upcoming vacation. Thanks so much for visiting our blog and entering our Shabby Apple giveaway. We are following you now! Hope you have a great weekend!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

Jenny P said...

This book sounds really fascinating. I am going to have to pick it up and have a read!