the nerve of dirty socks

IMG_4726

i think it’s safe to say we all have pet peeves.
those {teeny, tiny} things that just
drive.us.nuts!
no matter how small they are, it can become a huge deal really fast.

when Adam and i first got married we would get frustrated over the littlest things.
i hated that he would leave his socks on the floor.
he hated that I would not turn my shirt right side out when doing laundry.
i hated that he wouldn’t put the new toilet paper roll on the holder. ever.
he hated how i folded shirts.
i'm sure the list can go on…

the funny thing is after being married 3 1/2 years almost none of this has changed.
i still {almost all the time} keep my clothes inside out when i put them in the laundry.
Adam still leaves his socks out instead of putting them in the basket.
i still fold weird according to Adam {but have learned to fold his way when i fold his shirts}
and Adam still doesn’t put the toilet paper back on the holder when it runs out.

but even though these pet peeves are definitely still there
[and more have come up! don’t even get me started on loading the dishes…]
we have learned to overlook a lot of those tiny flaws and focus on the bigger picture.

because in the grand scheme of things,
those little things are not worth a big fight over.

i am not the most punctual person and it bugs Adam to the core.
he hates being late and now he’s eternally stuck with a notoriously late person.
one Sunday after running late for church for the 4th time, i apologized to Adam since i knew he was probably seething inside.
he just turned to me and said, “i really am not mad. it’s just not worth getting upset over anymore. i can learn to be okay with it.”

i was really grateful for the lesson Adam taught me about letting things go.
it really isn’t worth holding on to pet peeves or grudges in a marriage.
[or any situation]
and because Adam showed me love & understanding instead of frustration & annoyance,
i have actually tried harder to overcome my bad habits that bother him.
 

i'm grateful for a husband that is incredibly patient with me through my many flaws.
i know every day is not easy and we can easily get on each other’s nerves,
but i'm grateful to have someone by my side that can help overlook the weird, annoying things i do for the sake of the
greater good.

16 comments:

April said...

Oh my goodness... Stephen hates my folding and inside out shirts too!! :)

Unknown said...

What a good post! Ryan likes to hide his socks EVERYWHERE. I find them under the bed, in the bed, under the couch, by the toilet, by his desk, in the kitchen...it's ridiculous! But I'm working on becoming 'one' with it I guess. I'm still working up to being like your husband Adam and learning to not get upset over it! :)

Brittany LeSueur said...

Oh my gish! I totally feel ya! You guys are great. But ya...I still act like a raging lunatic during that time of month you know. and Jay still forgives me once the week is over. thank goodness

Brittany LeSueur said...

Oh my gish! I totally feel ya! You guys are great. But ya...I still act like a raging lunatic during that time of month you know. and Jay still forgives me once the week is over. thank goodness

Paula @ Beauty Through Imperfection said...

such a good post!

I find myself getting irritated when my hubby leaves his jackets in the living room, or ridiculously small things like that. Then I think, is THIS really worth getting mad over? do I not love him enough to take the 45 second journey to the bedroom to put this away??? sigh. marriage shows me how self-centered I am.

Leanne said...

Thank you for the great reminder!

Unknown said...

My husband Erick hates how I fold as well. He likes his shirts folded like how the fancy stores have them all nice looking and all. lol He even wants to buy those folding boards to make it easier. :)

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

I love this post! His response is very humbling too.
Thanks for linking up at Matrimonial Mondays :)

Unknown said...

That is so sweet!

Unknown said...

this is a wonderful sweet reminder!! :)

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I think as soon as we had a disagreement and decided to fold in different rooms I read this post.

Sometimes he folders my shirts inside out and with any decoration/front of the shirt inside of the folded contraption. It means I never know what the shirt is without completely unfolding it in the morning.

I should just be grateful he helps.

Allison said...

Love this post. My husband too has a sock problem... but I just learned to pick them up and put them away, because really who cares in the long run? There are bigger things to worry about and I love him anyways

Unknown said...

Great post. I am so much better at working on my flaws now that I'm dating someone who loves me anyway.

Alexis Kaye said...

So true sista! Sometimes I think husbands are the most patient humans around.

Unknown said...

Yes, well said! We have been together for over six years now... Needless to say we've come across things that really bother one another, but you've just got to let it go. A friend of mine is recently married and was ranting one day about something silly and little that her hubs does... Cracked me up. All I could say was that's just the beginning. ;)

The Arizona Russums said...

This is such a good reminder. But I am with you on the dishwasher loading!!! Ugh!